Pages

Monday, April 25, 2016

Make It Monday: Sweet Potato Hash

Happy Monday! This is the first installment of "Make it Monday"! I will try to vary it a bit, but for awhile it will probably consist of recipes. I have recently started to get into more Paleo recipes and have tried quite a few in the last couple weeks. I had another one in mind originally, but after I met this one I decided I have to share it first! I will be sure to share the others at a later time.

The website I perused the most is www.paleogrubs.com. They have tons of recipes, including a 14 day menu plan. I glanced through the menu plan and just picked out the recipes that appealed to me. I printed out a gazillion and sat down and planned the next week.

This was planned for our Saturday Breakfast. I knew the kids wouldn't eat it, but I made them try it at least. One day they will eat the things I want them too....

Here is the original Recipe: http://paleogrubs.com/sweet-potato-hash-recipe

Ingredients
  1. 1 large onion, sliced
  1. 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
  1. 1/2 tbsp ghee
  1. 2 Italian sausages, diced
  1. 2 sweet potatoes
  1. 3 tbsp fresh rosemary
  1. Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  1. 3 eggs
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sweet with parchment paper. Heat one tablespoon of olive oil and the ghee in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and sprinkle with salt. Cook on low heat for 30-40 minutes, until dark brown and caramelized.
  2. Meanwhile, peel the sweet potatoes and chop into bite-size pieces. Place into a large bowl with the remaining two tablespoons of olive oil and rosemary.
  3. In a separate skillet, cook the sausages until browned. Add the cooked onions and sausages to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and toss. Season with salt and pepper.
  4. Spread out the sweet potato mixture evenly onto the prepared baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes until the potatoes are soft and browned. Either refrigerate overnight at this point or proceed to the next step.
  5. Place the sweet potato hash into a cast iron skillet and make three small wells to crack the eggs into. Crack eggs into the skillet and season lightly with salt and pepper. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 425 degrees F until the eggs are set.
Notes
  1. Servings: 4
  1. Difficulty: Medium
By Rebecca Bohl (PaleoGrubs.com)



However, I am complicated and always do things slightly different. So here is what I did!

I just chopped up about 1 1/2 sweet potatoes and 1/2 a large onion. I did this in advance the night before. Threw them both in a bowl and put in the refrigerator.

The next morning I sauteed the onions and potatoes in a pan with Ghee. Seasoned with salt, and pepper.

Meanwhile, I also sauteeed a package of italian sausage - probably a pound. There was extra sausage, I didn't use it all.

When both were fully cooked, I dumped the sausage into the potato/onion blend and mixed together.

I set that aside and then cooked the eggs. I made my husband an over easy egg, while I decide to go for a fried egg.  Plate up the hash, place the egg on top and VIOLA!

The kids just ended up eating eggs.

We LOVED it. It was so so good and I am hoping to make a big batch and make for breakfasts during the week!




Hope you try it out and ENJOY!

~Andrea The CATT Lady

No comments:

Post a Comment